26 June 2009

The King of Pop's Death Grinds Twitter to a Halt

Last night the World suffered the tragedy of the passing of The Greatest Entertainer of all Time.

Whether you loved him or hated him, Michael Jackson captivated the public's attention for nearly forty-five years of his half-century life, and used as his signature move

Like many, I attempted to hop on Twitter and express my sorrow and condolences. What I found was shocking: I couldn't enter the site. I took a quick shot of my computer's screen when i hit www.twitter.com




Given the flutter about Iran and the massive Twitter traffic that exposed the world to what happened with the Islamic Republic's elections, I was frankly surprised that it was Jackson's death that overwhelmed the site. Then I remembered that this was Michael Jackson. The King of Pop shaped the face of American pop-culture via his videos, his music, his dancing, and his total rocks-star nature. Timberlake, Spears, Usher all owe their type of fame to him- and the list probably goes on and on.

Twitter's very much become the digital center of pop-culture in America-- and perhaps even the world. It's fitting that it took a little break while its users mourned pop's King.

No comments: